On 2014-04-03 20:15, Stéphane Goujet wrote:

   Here is what I have done so far. Not too bad a result, but there are
still 2 main problems:
-- when the quotation begins after the beginning of the paragraph, the
whole paragraph is affected by *narrower*;
-- when the text continues after the end of the quotation, it is
impossible to insert the *\par* that, as Hans noticed and told us, is
needed to have *narrower* work, so it is as if there was no *narrower*
and the whole line numbering of the paragraph is messed up.

That is the big one for me. As the example png I posted shows, I need to have support for multiple quoted sections and unquoted text at the end.

and 2 minor ones:
-- no paragraph indentation in footnotes.

I have some very long footnotes and have moved to endnotes. The same issues present themselves, and many others related to commands that do not work in margins, footnotes, and other floating environments, but I think the solution is to write them as a separate chapter and manage the cross-references (footnote marks) myself.

-- Alignment of the first quoted paragraph in respect to the following
quoted paragraphs is not perfect (because I use different symbols for
the quotation opening («) and the quotation repetition (»), I guess).
But this point is good enough for me.

The opening and repetition guillemot in paragraphs started by \startbloccite and \bloccitepar align correctly. The difference in alignment of the first text character in those paragraphs appears to be about 0.45pt, which can be handled by the \hskip at the end of the definition of \bloccitepar. That value is absolute, so may need adjusting for other fonts and sizes. Perhaps an hskip of 0.375em might be more flexible.

Another problem occurs when protrusion is enabled. A guillemot in running text that happens to be placed at the beginning of a line will protrude into the left margin channel, but the guillemots that are generated by this mechanism will not protrude. When these are on the same page it is ugly.

Goodbye,
   Stéphane.

--
Rik