I want to have a rectangle (box) with a word in it (i.g. "Headline). And all should be rotated 90°. Below I found a solution I am quite happy with. How can I get a little bit more padding around the text in the box?

You can copy the example to http://live.contextgarden.net/ - it is running:

\startuseMPgraphic{rotatedHeadline}
% Text "Headline" in a box which is rotated
draw btex {\strut\tfd Headline} etex;

% rectangle with rounded corners
path p;
p := llcorner currentpicture+(0mm,3mm){down}..{right}llcorner
currentpicture+(3mm,0mm)--
lrcorner currentpicture+(-3mm,0mm){right}..{up}lrcorner
currentpicture+(0mm,3mm)--
urcorner currentpicture+(0mm,-3mm){up}..{left}urcorner
currentpicture+(-3mm,0mm)--
ulcorner currentpicture+(3mm,0mm){left}..{down}ulcorner
currentpicture+(0mm,-3mm)--cycle;
pickup pencircle scaled 0.5pt;
clip currentpicture to p;
draw p;
currentpicture := currentpicture rotated 90;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\starttext
\useMPgraphic{rotatedHeadline}