On 07 Apr 2014, at 23:24, Otared Kavian <ota...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe not, since Roman numerals i, ii, iii, iv, etc correspond really to the
> way Romans used to write numbers, while Greek numerals \alpha, \beta, \gamma,
> \delta, etc are rather our modern way of numbering items, analogous to the
> case one would say a), b), c), d) etc.
> Would Thomas Schmitz give us some insight?

In fact, I was wondering what “Greeknumerals” would translate to. The most
common system used in antiquity is the “Milesian” system: α=1, β=2 etc., but 6
is expressed by ς; ι=10; ρ=100, with two archaic letters as 90 and 900; this is
used in most papyri. There are other systems in use (especially in
inscriptions), they involve special characters which most fonts don’t have. The
simple system α=1 up to ω=24 is used to number the books in the Homeric epics,
so it also has ancient precedents. If we want to be nitpicking, it shouldn’t be
called “Greeknumerals,” but rather “Greekalphanumericalconversion,” which
sounds like a really snappy, memorable way to express it, don’t you agree?

So: this is just the historical and philological aspect, Greeknumerals will
make sense to most users.

All best

Thomas