On Thu, 10 Apr 2014, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

Jannik,

You are right.  \nabla looks much nicer and is placed correctly.  (I
still think the \triangledown placement is slightly off.)

My environment files from MkII days have \def\nabla{\triangledown}, so I
never tried the true \nabla until your suggestion.

In MkIV: \triangledown is mapped to 0x25BD while nabla is mapped to 0x2207. These are different glyphs.

IIUC, the difference in placement is because \triangledown is defined as a mathop (and hence centered on the math-axis) while \nabla is defined as a mathord. Compare:

\startformula
  \nabla T
  \quad
  \triangledown T
  \quad
  \mathop{\nabla} T
\stopformula

From what I remember, I was the one who added the mappings for
triangledown as a mathop based on, I believe, unicode-math package in LaTeX. I don't understand what all the "triangle operators" are supposed to do. As such, I cannot say whether the wrong placement is due to the wrong font metrics or the wrong mapping (mathop vs mathord) by ConTeXt.

Aditya