Hi Sanjoy,

I think that this a font related problem since in Plain TeX and mkii the
following
gives the same result as in mkiv when using the default LM fonts, and the top
(resp. the bottom) of the bar | is aligned with the top (resp. the bottom) of
the parentheses, while in Palatino (Pagella) this does not seem to be the case.

Best regards: OK