Actually the issue was discussed some time ago and Wolfgang Schuster explained
that.
In fact after sending you the previous answer I realized that he explained also
that the right way is to use \defineconversionset and then reset the
userpagenumber when necessary: look at the following example:

%%%% begin example
\defineconversionset[frontpart:pagenumber][][romannumerals]
\defineconversionset[bodypart:pagenumber] [][numbers]
\defineconversionset[backpart:pagenumber] [][characters]

\starttext
\startfrontmatter
\input knuth.tex
\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter
\setupuserpagenumber[number=1]
\input ward.tex
\stopbodymatter

\startbackmatter
\setupuserpagenumber[number=1]
\input tufte.tex
\stopbackmatter
\stoptext
%%%% end example

It would be nice to wikify things each time one learns something…

Best regards: OK