On Fri, 28 Mar 2014, Stéphane Goujet wrote:

 I am trying to typeset old books and I chose to keep close to the
original typography.
=================
1) It must work when starting from a new line as well as when starting
from the middle of the current line. 2 different environments are
allowed.

2) The environnement is wrapped in guillemets.

3a) There must be no extra space before the opening guillemet when
starting from the middle of the current line.

3b) The must be no extra space after the closing guillemet.

4) The quote repetition symbol must appear in the beginning of every
line, except the first one.

5) Paragraphs should be automatically indented. Manual indentation is
bearable.

6a) When there is an indentation, the quote repetition symbol must be
indented too.

6b) When the bloc starts on a new line, the opening guillemet must be
indented.

7) The quote repetition symbol must be a setup parameter of the
environment, or easily modifiable within the environment definition.
(in the example images, it is a *closing* guillemet, but in other books
it can be an *opening* guillemet).

8) This environment must work within footnotes too.

  So, the quotation block would be :

================
\define\qbopen{«}
\define\qbrep{»}
\define\qbclose{»}
\definestartstop
   [bloccite]
   [before=\qbopen~\begingroup\localleftbox{\qbrep~},
    after=\endgroup~\qbclose]

Might need a bit of kerning to have all spaces look good, but basically, this is it. Just this...

Goodbye,
  Stéphane Goujet.