On 9 Oct 2014, at 08:52 , Sander Maijers <s.n.maij...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Am I correct in that you would enforce a single concrete
> citation format throughout the document that way?
No, it would just change the Author-field for one particular entry that is
causing trouble.
One can correct all faulty entries that way of cause.

>  You were asking for comments
> about your solution, I hope the following remarks are informative to
> you.
>
> My .bib file is being autogenerated by Mendeley, a reference manager,
> and changes often in terms of contents. That workflow seems
> incompatible with your solution. Furthermore, I may not let the
> authors appear in citations with all their names every time, it should
> be limited to the first time (the APA 6 rules, that I referred to).
> With your solution, 1 out of n citations would be correct, while in
> the current situation (without manual intervention) n-1 out of n would
> be correct (all but the first).

 I clearly misunderstood your problem, which, as I see now, thanks to your
remarks, is rather different from mine.
I would not have sent you my silly answer if I had known this.

On the other hand, I too need citations and bibliographic references to appear
in different forms, three in my case:
In the Bibliography with Author: Last name, first name,
In the text and footnotes the first time with Author(s): First name(s), last
name(s),  and full title of the work, and in all the following citations with
Author(s): Last name(s) only and short title of the work.
I could think of no other way to accomplish this than to generate the .bbl,
make two copies, “Inversed Author” and “Short Title”, make the necessary
changes in these .bbl’s, including the cite-key to mark it for these two
alternatives. I should add that I could not use apa  but an apa-like, modified
in many details which also forced me to tweak the .bbl.

It all seems a lot of work but it is straightforward, it works for me and it
protects me from an enormous amount of frustration.
(And I’m glad my .bib-file is not autogenerated.)

Best regards,

Robert Blackstone