Hi,

What exactly should I to do with respect to TikZ on the garden (for
the minimals)?

Switch to the version of TikZ and pgfplots from TL 2014 + replace
t-tikz.tex with Hans' version and freeze in that state until TikZ is
fixed upstream?

Or just freeze at whatever version is in CVS at the moment and patch
t-tikz.tex and wait for the patch?

Any other/better suggestions?

And what version of pgfplots should I take?

Does anyone need the latest functionality of TikZ or pgfplots?

Ideally it would be nice if TikZ was fixed upstream, but developers
are currently busy and would like to understand patches before
applying them, so it might take a while before the code gets fixed. I
hate having to use CVS to go back in time (svn or git would be easier
to deal with; what date to use for CVS), but if that's the only option

Mojca