On Mon, 8 Dec 2014, j. van den hoff wrote:

new to `context' and my first question to the list: how can I achieve the following (`latex') behaviour:

\newcommand{\km}{\ensuremath{K_m}}
We can now use \km\ in the body text as well as in this
\begin{equation}
   \km = 1
\end{equation}
display equation.

As a side remark, you should normally avoid using lowercase commands like \km (especially if they are small) as you may inadvertently overwrite an inbuilt TeX command (e.g., if you redefine \span or \omit, amongst others). Unlike LaTeX, ConTeXt does not halt at the redefinition of these commands; it simply spews a warning. Personally, I find that a safer alternative is to use uppercase or camelcase words to define your own commands: either \KM or \Km. This way you avoid conflict with inbuilt commands.

If you are using macros for abbreviations, you can also use the following:

\definesynonyms[mathnotation][mathnotations][\infull]

\mathnotation [KM] {\mathematics{K_m}} {Viscosity of membrane}

\starttext

\placelistofmathnotations

\section{Test}

We can use \KM\ to denote \infull{KM}.

\startformula
  \KM = 10
\stopformula

\stoptext

This way, you get a list of notation for free.

Aditya