On 12/21/2014 06:37 PM, j. van den hoff wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 17:20:33 +0100, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>> On 12/21/2014 02:31 PM, j. van den hoff wrote:
> [...]
> as I wrote in the last mail, only the `courier new' fonts are
> represented by actual font-files it seems (don't know what the *afm
> files are). so if only those (and their abbreviations) were reported
> I would not have any problem. but as it stands, `courier' is
> reported as well -- but does not map to any actual font-file.

.afm is an Adobe font metrics file. This is the way (old) PostScript
fonts are designed. Font glyphs in PostScript fonts are cotained in .pfa
or .pfb files.

Wikipedia has a good article explaining PostScript fonts
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_fonts). But unless you have an
special interest, I’d simply ignore it.

If I‘m not wrong, only system font files are listed with their path. The
fonts that come with ConTeXt are listed, but their paths are ignored.

BTW, this should work (if I’m not completely wrong [it doesn’t work on
my system, because the courier fonts aren’t listed]):

    \definefontfamily [mainface] [tt]  [courier]

>>> so it seems you are right regarding using the "full" names, e.g.
>>>
>>> \definefontfamily [mainface] [sans]  [adventor]
>>>
>>> does not work while
>>>
>>> \definefontfamily [mainface] [sans]  [TeX Gyre Adventor]
>>>
>>> does.
>>>
>>> any ideas, why all this is happening?
>>
>>     \definefontfamily [mainface] [sans]  [texgyreadventor]
>>
>> seems to be the right way to invoke the font.

Sorry, I’m afraid my explanation was incomplete.

adventor is the name of a(n already predefined) typescript. So you can
use it with \setupbodyfont and \switchtobodyfont.

texgyreadventor is the name of the typeface or font family. You should
use it with \definefontfamily.

But typefaces cannot be invoked with typescript names and typescripts
cannot be invoked with typeface names.

This is why \definefontfamily[mainface][sans][adventor] or
\setupbodyfont[texgyreadventor] don’t work.

Wolfgang will know that better, but [mainface] in the previous
\definefontfamily is the new and easy way to create typescripts in ConTeXt.

Using the full font name has the main advantage of not having to know
whether a given name designs a typescript or a typeface ;-).

I hope it will be clearer now. Let me know if it isn’t.

Pablo

--
http://www.ousia.tk