On 1/17/2015 7:23 AM, Jörg Weger wrote:
Hi Alan

What I am trying to achieve is the following (of which typesetting the
author’s name is only a detail): setting up an environment that I can
use for all papers and works that I have to write during my academic
studies. With the basic layout I am almost done. The main remaining
problem is to get the bibliographic information details in the
publications list into the right order for every possible type of
publication according to the standards demanded by my university
department which differ from APA style.

You ask what I am looking for:

It would be great to be able at the same time to format every detail of
information while defining said order.

Defining that order could be done by giving a kind of “maximum case”
with the exact order of the desired variables and the punctuation and
blanks between them for every particular type of publication cited. Out
of that “maximum case” the underlying mechanism would ignore everything
not needed in the particular case of a certain publication.

In the case of publication type “book” it could be something like:

\setpublicationstyleforlist [type:book]
[{invertedauthor1}{/}{invertedauthor2}{/}{invertedauthor3}{et al.}{
(}{year}{): }{title}{. }{address}{: }{publisher}{.}]

... that not good enough: fields can be absent, there is no way to distinguish authors from titles and so ...

the new mechanism we're making tries to cover a lot of aspects and it's not that trivial to also keep the interface simple then

anyway, what we're talking of (currently) is:

- datasets, where data comes from bib files, lua tables xml files or whatever gets interfaced

- optional typing, which means that one can tell what fields represents what kind of data

- fallback sets i.e a sequence that will be checked when a field is requested

- virtual fields (think of numbers and author year combinations)

- control via settings (the et-al thing as well as fences and punctuation)

- rendering driven by setups so that users have full control (if they want) over what comes out

- a bunch of helper macros (checking, spacing etc)

- a collection of methods that can be applied to fields when they are called up

- calling up citations by tag but also by a query

- control over lists

- automatic generation of registers

- passing along extra data entered in the source

- and more

we don't know how many users will define renderings themselves but in principle it should not be too hard to copy existing setups and mess with them

there is quite some tracing available because it can go wrong in many places (depending on the quality of the data)

attached are two simple examples of how users can define things