> Am 17.02.2015 um 21:16 schrieb Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl>:
>
> On 2/17/2015 8:24 AM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
>> Hi Axel, All,

[snip, snip]
>> IMHO : ConTeXt should not output XHMTL for epub, but HMTL5.
>> Yes, yes, I know XHMTL is part of HMTL5.
>
> And html 5 is just html with some extras (and assuming javascript i guess)
> ... marketing.
The html 5 standard is far more. For one is makes flash, java and more
obsolete. Far more than a marketing gag!

>> Another question for me is if ConTeXt should also output code for
>> the iBooks epub format, (Basicaly epub, but some extras).
>
> Isn't a book supposed to be independent and kind of portable + long term
> visible? So no way that a context epub will be specific for a device. (I
> probably can't even get it on / test it on my outdated ipad 1 anyway.)
I was thinking more along the line of the spine.

>> There are thing you can do in/with ConTeXt that would work with iBooks
>> that do not in „ordinary“ epub books.
>>
>> Then, there is the Kindle format one might want to consider!
>
> Another lock-in device.
>
>> Another, question which needs investigation is if the ConTeXt output for
>> epub,
>> also, implementing the fallbacks for missing features which is required?
>
> Context outputs three varants: regular xml, xhtml, and stupified xhtml with
> div/class tagging. The last one is supposed to work on all devices as it
> doesn't demands anything beyond css.
        If that is the case it is not very useful for a decent workflow. There
would be to much to
        tweak to make good looking output.

        I have not investigated how it handles dimensions, widths, font sizes,
spacing, etc.
        These are important in order to create output that adjust proper to the
        devices capabilities.
        One should avoid absolute values.

        Of course if we want to emulate the printed output then we could simply
        create a pdf or very page as pdf and put in an epub wrapper.

        Not asking for anything, just mentioning it.

reagrds
        Keith.