Hi Dillon,

First of all, I'm against defining such a complex macro, since that can be very
confusing when you use it. I personal prefer the key-value definition:
\def\DEFINETEST[#1]{%
  \getXXXparameters
    [paraA=defaultValueForParameterA%
    ,paraB=% or just empty
    ,#1]%
  \doSomethingWith[\XXXparameter\paraA]%
  \doSomethingElse...
}
You might want to refer to the following link and other valuable materials on the
wiki for more information:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/System_Macros/Key_Value_Assignments

If you insist on that, I guess you can define a temporary macro inside your macro.
That's very dirty, but can be a little more efficient? I'm not sure.

I was given to understand that the ConTeXt MKVI now accepts parameters such as #position#color rather than meaningless #1#2. I GUESS that's lua-based, so maybe
it'll break the TeX limitation.