List,

I have a book with frontmatter, bodymatter, and backmatter. The frontmatter is pagenumbered with lc roman, and the bodymatter and backmatter are numbered, all by block.

The backmatter contain a glossary, pagenotes, bibliography, and an index. In addition to the frontmatter and the bodymatter, both the glossary and the pagenotes contain items that are indexed.

I need to distinguish pagenumbers that appear in the index so that the reader can identify where in the book the page is located. For the frontmatter, that is not a problem. For items that appear in the bodymatter or backmatter, however, page numbers are not unique.

One method that has been suggested is to prefix the pagenumber displayed in the index with a mark to indicate that the page is in the backmatter, or to italicize it, or to use an alternate font. I have looked at the defineconversionset and defineprocessor documentation and find no way to mark index entries appropriately.

Can anyone suggest a way to do this, or some other method? Perhaps a pagecommand that compares the register item real page number to the highest real page number of the body? I would prefer a solution that does not require changing the register commands (\index) in the text.

Continuous numbering across the frontmatter, bodymatter, and backmatter is not wanted, although as a last resort I might be able to argue for continuous numbering in the bodymatter and backmatter.

--
Rik Kabel