Salaam, Talal,
See below:

On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 17:32:44 -0600, tala...@fastmail.fm <tala...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

Dear all,

When typesetting in Arabic (or, for that matter, other non-Latin scripts), how does one get numerals to appear ‘natively’ in layout structures such as headers, page numbers, line-numbering, and footnote numbers? In the case of Arabic, this means using the so-called “mashriqi”, or “Arabic-Indic”/“Arabic-Hindi” numerals. Is there some option when defining the font family? (I would have thought that using “\mainlanguage[arabic]” would have done it.) Of course, I am using a font that contains the numbers of that script.

I'm on the move, but try these keys in the appropriate structure commands:

numberconversion=arabicnumerals
numberconversion=abjadnumerals

Failing that, a workaround is to use the m-translate module, and define a translation for each the ten digits. But numberconversion=arabicnumerals is supposed to work.

Wassalaam
Idris

PS \start-stopsection is now standard (\section is still there, but...)

Mind you, if I manually type such numbers into the body of my text, they appear correctly. MWE below.

Best wishes,
Talal

=====
\setuppapersize[A6]
\mainlanguage[arabic]
\definefontfamily[mainface][serif][ALMFixed][features=arabic,range=arabic,]
\setupbodyfont [mainface,10pt]

\starttext \showframe
\righttoleft

%\setupdirections[bidi=global,method=two]

\section{section one}
\startlinenumbering
\input ward
\stoplinenumbering
\footnote{I would like the footnote number — like the page number, section number, and linenumbers — to be in the so-called Arabic-Indic script.}

\section{section two}
مرحباً بالعالم. ١٢٣٤٥٦٧٨٩٠ مرحباً بالعالم.
\stoptext
=====

Idris Samawi Hamid
Professor of Philosophy