Hello,

some more observation:

It seems (sub)numbering (sub)formulas can be achieved enclosing expressions
into \start/\stop-align.

I wrote a code based on a test suite file:

        ...\test\doc\context\tests\mkiv\math\formulas-001.tex

----
\starttext
  \startsubformulas[eq:sub1]
      \placeformula
          \startformula
              \startalign
                  \NC a_1 x + b_1 y \NC = c_1 \NR[eq:11]
                  \NC a_2 x + b_2 y \NC = c_2 \NR[eq:12]
              \stopalign
          \stopformula
  \stopsubformulas

  \in{eq:11}[eq:11]
  \in{eq:12}[eq:12]

  \placeformula
      \startformula
          \startsubformulas[eq:sub2]
              \startalign
                  \NC a_1 x + b_1 y \NC = c_1 \NR[eq:21]
                  \NC a_2 x + b_2 y \NC = c_2 \NR[eq:22]
              \stopalign
          \stopsubformulas
      \stopformula

  \input knuth

  \placeformula
      \startformula
          \startsubformulas[eq:sub2]
              \startalign
                  \NC a_1 x + b_1 y \NC = c_1 \NR[eq:31]
                  \NC a_2 x + b_2 y \NC = c_2 \NR[eq:32]
              \stopalign
          \stopsubformulas
      \stopformula

  \in{eq:31}[eq:31]
  \in{eq:32}[eq:32]
\stoptext
----

Problems are:

1. I am not able to make numbering of eq:31 and eq:32 continue on eq:22, so to
have equations numbered:

        1a, 1b; 2a, 2b; 2c, 2d

instead of:

        1a, 1b; 2a, 2b; 3a, 3b

(Some text - here: knuth - between 2b and 3a/2c is required.)

(I played with commenting some combinations of lines but with no success.)

So - is there a way how to continue numbering subformulas (after some inserted
text) - something like itemizing has \startitemize[continue]?

2. How to affect the numbering style to be "1a" instead "1.a"?

3. @Hans: The test suite file:

        ...\test\doc\context\tests\mkiv\math\subformulas-001.tex

compiles, but gives "no-reference" "??".

(
The example on wiki:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math/Display#Automatic_Sub-Formula_Numbering

seems to be very ancient as it GIVES the desired result.
)

Lukas

On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 12:20:44 +0200, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.