Dear Otared:

Thank you for your reply.

I had indeed created the file "ConTeXt Suite.engine" in directory
~/Library/TeXShop/Engines, per the instructions on the Mac Installation web
page.  That web page recommended a tcsh shell version of your bash shell
script.  I suppose that either should be fine; at this point, I have tried
both.  Of course, I changed the path variable to include my local installation
of ConTeXt.

Then I noticed that your engine was named "mkiv.engine," rather than "ConTeXt
Suite.engine," so I tried that as well.

As of this morning, none of the above tactics seem to succeed in getting
TeXShop to recognize ConTeXt.  When I try to process the test file from within
TeXShop, it continues to terminate with the error that it does not recognize
the command \startsection.

Again, however, everything works just fine from the command line.  So I think
that the ConTeXt installation is fine.

Also, FWIW, I note that de Boer's document, "LaTeX in proper ConTeXt"
recommends compiling from the command line using texexec rather than context.
This does not work for me.  The command "texexec" exists, and I can run it, but
it does not produce a .pdf file -- just a .tmp file.

Anyway, sorry for the newcomer questions.  Once I get over this hurdle, so that
I can run ConTeXt easily from within TeXShop, I am confident that I will be
able to learn the language without bothering the list so frequently.

Best regards,
Bruce

Bruce M. Boghosian
Professor, Department of Mathematics, Tufts University
Bromfield-Pearson Hall, Medford, Massachusetts 02155, USA