Thanks, Wolfgang!  This does work indeed.  I had actually tried it before
but made a mistake which made it useless.

What commands accept this kind of setup?  Do the headers and footers accept
such a thing?  How much overhead does this cause?

Is it possible to run the bidi code on a small string? Is there a macro
like \applybidi{some-text-to-apply-bidi-algorithm-on}?

—MHB