On 03/09/2016 10:57 PM, L.S.-Soc&Gam wrote:
> i downloaded ConTeXt from contextgarden and so far i saw three options
> to download
>
> first i found folders setup and setup2? which one should i use? in one
> of them there are win32 and win64 zips. and in the other are win32,
> win64 plus a mswin zip. which one is the correct one? since i am on
> Win10x64 i downloaded context-setup-win64.zip.

Hi Sebastian,

I’m not on Win10, but I guess this was the right file.

> i unzipped the file, started command as admin and went to Con dir. there
> i entered: first-setup.bat --modules=all
> everything went fine and i added the win64 folder which Con installer
> showed me at the end to my system paths.
> as far as i know, an update is done the same way. please correct me if i
> am wrong.

Yes, updates may be performed invoking the same command.

> in TeXnicCenter i added a new profile.
> on (La)TeX register i have activated: Run LaTeX in this profile.
>
> in the path to compiler field i entered:
> F:\Sandbox\ConTeXt\tex\setuptex.bat &
> F:\Sandbox\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-win64\bin\texmfstart.exe
>
> question: do i need both entries?

I don’t think so. The second entry isn’t required at all.

> in the command line field i entered:
> texexec.rb --batch --nonstop --pdf --color "%bm" --synctex=-1
>
> BibTeX is deactivated, MakeIndex isn't used either.

MakeIndex isn’t required in ConTeXt. (Indices aren’t generated using
MakeIndex in ConTeXt, afaIk.)

BibTeX may work, but there is a much better bibliographic module being
developed.

> well and it works. but not without ruby: why do i need ruby? i would use
> mkiv only if i could. i also worked with Hex color codes but then
> everything is black untill i add \setupcolor[hex] to the document. i
> read that this line is only needed in mkiv, so again i am wondering why
> i am obviously using mkii instead of mkiv...

The command line for MkIV should read "context source-file.tex". BTW,
ruby isn’t required for MkIV.

> the last question for now is: how can i stop pdfTeX.exe from warning me
> that no GlyphToUnicode entry has been inserted yet. i read somewhere
> that this can be ignored but nobody explains what this is and how it
> works. i just don't want to read this every time but fix it.
> and what is meant with bad boxes? i read "Underfull \hbox (badness
> 10000) in paragraph..." but don't know how to fix this.

Warnings fron pdftex will dissapear when you switch to MkIV :-).

"Underfull \hbox" may be caused by wrong hyphenation?

Would it be possible that you were compiling a German (or non-English text)?

In such case, please add "\mainlanguage[de]" in the first line of your
source document.

> i would also have questions related to SciTE, because i can't make UTF-8
> work following the desctiption on contextgarden, but for now i would be
> happy if i could take the most out of context within TeXnicCenter.

Never used SciTE in Windows.

Notepad++ works fine for me on Win7 (but I’m no ConTeXt expert).

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk