On 8/18/2016 6:30 PM, Brian R. Landy wrote:

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016, Hans Hagen wrote:

On 8/18/2016 1:12 AM, Brian R. Landy wrote:

On Aug 17, 2016, at 5:45 PM, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

On 8/17/2016 9:56 PM, Brian R. Landy wrote:
Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to call \getscaledglyph to
scale a
glyph only horizontally, leaving the height untouched?  Or maybe an
alternate command?

I can sort of accomplish this with (for example)
\scale[sx=0.75,sy=1.0]{}{A}, but that encloses the glyph in an \hbox,
which can be problematic.  \getscaledglyph doesn't cause me any
problems, except that it scales the height too.

\starttext

\definefontfeature[whatever][default][extend=2.5]

\definedfont[Serif*whatever at 12pt]

whatever

\stoptext

Thank you.  One thing that \getscaledglyph does it works agnostic to
the currently selected font.  For example:

scaling glyphs in one direction is kind of bad anyway so if you want
just one glyph you can do

\inframed{\scale[width=3em,height=1ex]{...}}

or whatever suits the purpose

Agreed.  Here's a little more background, so it makes some sense why I
want to scale horizontally, and then I describe my final solution.  I
have a specific case where I use a minus, a hyphen-minus, and a plus
close to each other, and it's always bugged me that most fonts don't
vertically align the hyphen-minus with the other two glyphs. An example is:

  {\normalUchar"2212}100-00+

I was thinking that math fonts did align these symbols, hence my
question on Monday on how to get the hyphen-minus in math mode (and
thanks for the quick answer on that) but unfortunately was wrong.  So
that got me searching for a way to horizontally shrink a minus, so it
would retain the same height and line thickness as the minus.
Horizontal-only scaling of a hyphen/dash/minus isn't so bad.

\scaled[] worked perfectly, but it breaks inside a natural table with
character alignment enabled.  I have a commented example of this below.
\getscaledglyph works in the table, but the vertical shrink is a
non-starter.

Here's an example:

\edef\mathminus{\normalUchar"2212}
\edef\smallminus{\getscaledglyph{0.33}{}{\normalUchar"2212}}
\starttext

This is my starting point:

\bTABLE[aligncharacter=yes,alignmentcharacter={text->-}]
\bTR \bTD \mathminus100-00+ \eTD \eTR
\bTR \bTD           100-00  \eTD \eTR
\bTR \bTD \mathminus 99-00+ \eTD \eTR
\bTR \bTD \mathminus 99-00  \eTD \eTR
\eTABLE

% This table won't typeset:
%
% \bTABLE[aligncharacter=yes,alignmentcharacter={text->:}]
% \bTR \bTD \mathminus100\scaled[sx=0.5,sy=1.0]{\mathminus}00:+ \eTD \eTR
% \bTR \bTD           100\scaled[sx=0.5,sy=1.0]{\mathminus}00:  \eTD \eTR
% \bTR \bTD \mathminus 99\scaled[sx=0.5,sy=1.0]{\mathminus}00:+ \eTD \eTR
% \bTR \bTD \mathminus 99\scaled[sx=0.5,sy=1.0]{\mathminus}00:  \eTD \eTR
% \eTABLE

\stoptext

But I came up with a solution that works.  Rather than attempt to shrink
the minus glyph, I define a new glyph that corrects the height of the
hyphen-minus:

\startluacode
     local function addsmallminus(tfmdata)
         local hchar    = tfmdata.characters[0x002D]
         local mchar    = tfmdata.characters[0x2212]
         tfmdata.characters[0xFE000]   = {
             width    = hchar.width,
             height   = mchar.height,
             commands = {
                 { "down", hchar.height-mchar.height },
                 { "char", 0x002D },
             }
         }
     end

     fonts.constructors.newfeatures("otf").register {
         name        = "smallminus",
         description = "small minus",
         manipulators = {
             base = addsmallminus,
             node = addsmallminus,
         }
     }

\stopluacode

\definefontfeature[default][default][smallminus=yes]
\edef\smallminus{\normalUchar"FE000}

\starttext

\bTABLE[aligncharacter=yes,alignmentcharacter={text->\smallminus}]
\bTR \bTD \mathminus100\smallminus00+ \eTD \eTR
\bTR \bTD           100\smallminus00  \eTD \eTR
\bTR \bTD \mathminus 99\smallminus00+ \eTD \eTR
\bTR \bTD \mathminus 99\smallminus00  \eTD \eTR
\eTABLE

\stoptext

So this looks good and works with any font.  The only issue is fonts
that use a different line thickness for the minus and hyphen-minus; this
top-aligns the glyphs.

Is there a way to make this glyph available in math-mode?  I get a "?"
when I try:

method 1:

\definefontfeature[math-text]         [math-text]         [smallminus=yes]
\definefontfeature[math-script]       [math-script]       [smallminus=yes]
\definefontfeature[math-scriptscript] [math-scriptscript] [smallminus=yes]

method 2: (no need to adapt features)

         name        = "smallminus",
         description = "small minus",
         default     = true,