On 10/17/2016 07:31 PM, Csikos Bela wrote:
Do you mean it's better to use e.g. {\bf some text} then \bf{some text}?

The latter is not valid syntax. You want to read the wiki section on font switching: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Font_Switching

>x and xx are different font sizes, not x repeated (it could have been
>named y or w instead). Here you have the difference:
>
>    \starttext
>    default, {\tfx smaller (x) {\tfx not smaller (x again)}}
>
>    default, {\tfx smaller (x) {\tfxx smaller (xx now)}}
>    \stoptext
I know this. What I don't understand is that if I have the code:

\starttext
Default {\tfa Larger} {\tfx Smaller1} \\
Default \tfa Larger \tfx Smaller2
\stoptext

then I have Smaller1 in (x) size and Smaller2 in default size. Why?
I would expect Smaller2 to be in (x) size too (as the manual implies).

I'm not sure where you found the sentence you copied in your first mail. My copy of contextref.pdf says p. 107: "The various commands will adapt themselves to the actual setup of font and size." Which is exactly what you see.

Thomas