On 11/7/2016 11:07 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
Am 2016-11-07 um 17:44 schrieb Willi Egger <cont...@boede.nl>:

I am not sure about what you say. The page shifting/creep correction is added
individually per spread. If this is done correctly then the typeset area is on
all pages the same width and has after folding and cutting  the same outer
margin.

Exactly. But I wanted to discuss the idea to adapt the width of the text area
(\textwidth) or maybe the width of margins (the marginals area that ConTeXt
calls margin) to the page shift, so that the optical width of the margins (what
ConTeXt calls edges) stays the same.
As far as I know, nobody ever did that - of course, it’s a major effort for
little gain, and it complicates TeX’s line breaking, the engine would need to
know about imposition while breaking lines.
But since we can have snake-justified text, I thought I could bring up the idea
;)

The problem there is that you then need to mess with parshapes or reflow (not impossible) because a paragraph can cross a page boundary. As usual the problem is not in simple texts but in a mix.

Messing with margins might be easier (cutspace/backspace).