On 11/20/2016 6:37 PM, Rik wrote:
On 2016-11-20 12:16, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
Rik Kabel <mailto:cont...@rik.users.panix.com>
20. November 2016 um 17:49

Okay.

What is the scope of local use?
It’s used to change the width of a \vbox.

\starttext

\ruledvbox\bgroup
    \input ward
\egroup

\ruledvbox\bgroup
    \hsize.5\textwidth
    \input ward
\egroup

\stoptext

It is different from grouping (as demonstrated by placing the middle
two lines above in braces).
Which example?

Wolfgang

Sorry, the example at the head of the thread. Originally:

    \starttext

       \hsize200pt

       \dorecurse{60}{\recurselevel: \the\hsize\ \the\textwidth\par}

     \stoptext

And with the \hsize in a group :

    \starttext

       {\hsize200pt

       \dorecurse{60}{\recurselevel: \the\hsize\ \the\textwidth\par}}

     \stoptext

I did not expect it to change the result, and it does not. So I was
asking just what Hans meant by “local use.”

when you add stuff to the page it happens globally till (normally) tex splits off the content that fits to the pagegoal (which is taken from vsize) .. in principle we could leave hsize untouched but for consistency and predictability we use textwidth etc .. this has always been the case