> On 23 Mar 2017, at 21:04, Nicola <nvitacolo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 23/03/2017 18:30, Hans Åberg wrote:
>>
>> You might try the text substitutions service: System Preferences >
>> Keyboard > Text. One chooses replacement text and what it should be
>> substituted into. See the thread "Input methods" for an automated
>> approach to generating large substitution sets.
>
> Sure, that's another possibility. A drawback of that approach, as far as
> I can see, is that those substitutions are applied globally across the
> system.

It can be turned on/off, say by adding System Preferences > Keyboard >
Shortcuts, App Shortcuts for Text Replacement & Hide/Show Substitutions.
(^<cmd>T & ^<cmd>S seems fairly safe.)

Also, one might try replacements with some escape code, say using # or \.

> Btw, Vim has a similar feature, called `iabbrev`: the advantage is that
> replacements are editor-specific and the method is cross-platform
> (because Vim is). Vim also offers support for inputting “digraphs” and
> for defining your own.

It does not seem to work with combining characters.

> Even better, for the use case at hand, is that
> you may also define your own keymap, e.g.:

One can make MacOS keymaps using Ukelele, but that is very time consuming. The
text substitution system is very fast, both in terms of creating it, and using.
I made a system for all the over one thousand math styled alphanumeric symbols.

It is tricky to make sure there are no conflicts, and the .plist format is
right, which is why I wrote the C++ program.

> Anyway, for me the IPA keyboard layout is what has worked best.

That might work well of the set of characters is fairly small.