On Thu, 8 Jun 2017, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:

And indeed, in luatex 1.05 the primes look fine again. The prime in
the fraction is too low, but I take Hans' "Such is life" and use \over
for the rare cases where I have primes inside fractions.

I haven't followed the thread carefully, but there is nothing special in \frac. The likely cause is prime is misplaced in cramped style or similar and similar misplacement will happen whenever that style is used.

I would be weary of using {... \over ...}. At the very least, use
\Ustack{... \over ...}, else any code that uses \mathstyle (instead of \mathchoice) will fail.

For an explaination, see Taco's answer here:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/1261/323

Aditya