On 2017-09-29 05:53, MF wrote:
So for quotations and adjust the space around them are you suggesting
manual adjustment?

I was already more convinced of keeping snap-to-grid turned off. Now
the problem is how to adjust the spaces around quotations (and floats)
at the minimum cost.

Since the line heights of the main text and the ones of quotations do
not change, the adjustment depends only on the number of lines of
quotations. I could compile a table for more common cases:

# of lines | adjustment
1 line     | ... pt
2 lines    | ... pt
3 lines    | ... pt
20 lines   | ... pt

I should teach users how to insert adjustments, but the task would be
eased because they should only copy a value from a table or insert a
name that corresponds the the number of lines (i.e. "adjust-3-lines",
"adjust-4-lines", etc.)

Greetings,
Massi

Be careful not to insert an adjustment after a block that is split over two pages.

A more useful (from a user perspective, I do not know about the coding) solution would be a command to snap to the nearest grid line (up or down, half or whole step).

But both your count and my \snapto suffer from a common problem. Both are likely to leave different amounts of space before and after the block. A more evenly balanced approach is to compute the height of the block plus the vertical space by which it should be set off plus the vertical space needed to reach a grid-line or half-grid and, if the block stays on the page, split the difference top and bottom. If the block does not stay on the page, some portion with the top offset must be calculated and placed on the page if it otherwise meets widow/orphan tests.

--
Rik