On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 22:44:50 +0100
Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 12/27/2017 7:01 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> > Why is the \vec{} arrow too short in some cases?
> > Compare $\vec{X}$ to $\vec{Y}$.
> >
> > The MWE below looks wrong in the default font
> > and is even uglier when pagella is used.
> >
> > Alan
> >

> > %\setupbodyfont [pagella]
> >
> > \starttext
> > $\vec{X}$ vs. $\vec{Y}$
> > \stoptext
> As this is has been the logic in tex font design for more than 3
> decades, there's not much that we can do about it apart from patching
> the font (doable but somewhat nasty and boring as we then need to
> patch specific elements of (each) hvariant and it falls in the
> category "hard to motivate myself for").
>
> \showglyphs
>
> \starttext
>      \start
>          \dorecurse{50}{$\vec{\blackrule[width=#1pt]}$\space}\unskip\par
>      \stop
>      \blank
>      \start
>          \switchtobodyfont [pagella]
>          \dorecurse{50}{$\vec{\blackrule[width=#1pt]}$\space}\unskip\par
>      \stop
>      \blank
>      \start
>          \switchtobodyfont [cambria]
>          \dorecurse{50}{$\vec{\blackrule[width=#1pt]}$\space}\unskip\par
>      \stop
> \stoptext
>
> Shows that it's a font design issue: the extensible has a threshold
> related to the middle part and it should (1) have at least one more
> fixed size, or (2) have one fixed size and for the rest be extensible
> but that would be somewhat inefficient ion most cases, so (3) here we
> have a trade-off.
>
> Just blame the font ... cambria is (of course) ok.
>
> Hans

Even Computer Modern!

Do you mean to tell me that the TeX Gyre fonts are all "broken"?
And that the *only* correctly working font is ... Cambria?

So following up on the font discussion at the last ConTeXt meeting,
must we conclude that *all* of the fonts that we distribute with the
Standalone are to be avoided, and that one must pilfer the MicroSoft
font in order to typeset mathematics correctly?

Alan