On 2/26/2018 4:53 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
I seem to be not able to get a synctex.gz instead of a synctex file.

I tried
  context --synctex=1 file
and
  context --synctex=-1 file
but in both cases a simple synctex-file is created.

Is this normal?
Sure, because

- context doesn't use syntex's internal code but uses its own logic
- there is no gain in zipping
- we have relative small synctex files because we use a different logic

the way to enable synctex is in the document (see workflows.pdf):

\setupsynctex[state=start]

it's a bit pitty that pdf viewers have hard coded syntex file parsing instead of calling a program with coordinates as arguments that starts the editor because that would make a more powerful combo and give room for additional functionality:

> mtxrun --script synctex

but anyway, i can only test with summatra pdf and it works ok here (last time i checked)

a collegue uses synctex with documents that are constructed runtime of thousands of small xml files deeply nested and filesize of the synctex file is neglectable by the size fo the pdf