On 6/25/2018 22:00, Alan Braslau wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 20:50:51 -0400
Rik Kabel <cont...@rik.users.panix.com> wrote:

On 6/25/2018 20:11, Alan Braslau wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 19:11:30 -0400
Rik <r...@panix.com> wrote:

On 6/25/2018 17:52, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
\startmode[ebook]
\setupbackend[export=yes]
\stopmode

\starttext

\index{Knuth}\input knuth

\index{Ward}\input ward

\index{Zapf}\input zapf

\startnotmode[*export]
\completeregister[index]
\stopnotmode

\stoptext
Unfortunately, this does not suppress generation of index
references in the exported output. Here is a snippet of the
-div.html file generated by the example you provided:

      onclick="location.href=&apos;#aut-1&apos;"><!--empty--></div>Thus,
I came to the conclusion that the designer of a new system must not
      only be the implementer and first large--scale user; the
designer should also write the first user manual.

and a snip of the output with the default css:

Thus the request for a (simple) mechanism to redefine or disable
standard commands. There are commands other than \index that might
also benefit from similar treatment.

\def\MyIndex#1{\index{#1}}

is one route.

Another might be

\let\index\gobbleoneargument

(use at your risk)

Alan

This would work if \index took one argument, but it takes as well an
optional argument preceding the required argument, and so these fail.

The best solution would seem to be one which does not require
knowledge of the number of required and optional arguments, but that
might be a stretch.

That is why I asked for help.
\setupregister[index][referencing=off]

Besides, if you use \index, why object to index reference tags in the
export?

Alan

Alan (and list),

This option still leaves the registerlocation entries in the html file, and so accomplishes nothing that Wolfgang's suggestion did. Being implemented in the environment file, it does have the advantage of not requiring changes to the content source file.

As to why I object to index reference tags in the export: There are a few constructs beyond indexes that I wish to exclude in export output -- indices are one and the problem is easily demonstrated. Referencetags themselves are not a significant problem -- a little css will hide them. I have not explored the other constructs yet (among them margin notes and cross-references) but was hoping for a generic solution, or at least an easily adapted per command solution.

There are a few options I can see. In order of least to most preferred, I can maintain separate sources; I can invoke a filter in my makefile to preprocess the source, removing \index commands (or margin notes, or ...); I can redefine \index (or margin notes, or ...) to be no-ops.

As much as possible I would like to use the same content source files for different output formats with some unique environment files. Filters are an added step and fragile, depending on correctly identifying the target constructs. So, I have been looking at redefinition.

I thought that the ability to override a command like \index might be generally useful, and so brought it up to the list when I could not find a way to do it.

--
Rik