On 7/28/2018 11:09 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

Meanwhile I had a look into the manuals folder and found the xtables manual.
Section 5 about \definextable and \starttexdefinition is especially interesting.
I guess I need to try both.

(My ConTeXt fu is always outdated, it seems...)
not much has changed in TABLE in years so once you're up to date in that domain you're probbably ok for years to come (typically a mechanism that cannot change much as it's used in xml processing a lot which means fully unattended usage)