On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 19:07:24 +0200
Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> > Luckily I never had to match corporate colors of different models in
> > ConTeXt...
> the worst are colors specs with 4 decimals based on some design made in
> indesign where one has at most 256 values per channel and then some
> designer looking at his display claiming to see a difference in the 3rd
> decimal betweenm his sample and the one generated by tex

I have 16bit grayscale images where the full dynamic range contains very useful
information. Of course, no display really shows this and I doubt that any
printer would faithfully reproduce it, yet the eye can discern the difference
using the proper media. This is now called high dynamic range imaging in
photography... but has been used in X-ray imaging for quite some time now.

For reasons of quality or transparency, rather free dissemination of
information, it would be useful to be able to distribute a PDF including these
images with their whole 16bit dynamic range. Of course, any or most all PDF
readers would only display 8bits, but one could in principal extract the
underlying image for examination and analysis.

Just an idea.

Alan