On 10/7/2018 12:19 AM, Rik Kabel wrote:
List,

Occasionally an unexpected and unwanted space is inserted following the hyphen of a compound word in html/xml exports. In a document with about 500 such compounds, this occurs 30 times.

The following input:

    \setupbackend     [export=yes,xhtml=yes]
    \starttext
    Theocracy, the priest power; monarchy, the one|-|man power; and
    oligarchy, the few|-|men power|—|are three forms of vicarious
    government over the people, perhaps for them, not by them. Democracy is
    direct self|-|government over all the people, for all the people, by
    all the people. Our institutions are democratic: theocratic, monarchic,
    oligarchic vicariousness is all gone. We have no Divine vicar who is
    responsible to God for our politics and religion; only a human attorney,
    answerable to the people for his official work. The axis of rotation has
    changed: the equator of the old civilization passes through the poles
    of the new. This makes some change in the geography of both Church and
    State.
    \stopsection
    \stoptext

Produces, in relevant part, the following xml (wrapped for convenience):

    Theocracy, the priest power; monarchy, the one-man power; and oligarchy,
    the few- men power—are three forms of vicarious government over
    the people, perhaps for them, not by them. Democracy is direct
    self-government over all the people, for all the people, by all the
    people. Our institutions are democratic: theocratic, monarchic,
    oligarchic vicariousness is all gone. We have no Divine vicar who is
    responsible to God for our politics and religion; only a human attorney,
    answerable to the people for his official work. The axis of rotation has
    changed: the equator of the old civilization passes through the poles
    of the new. This makes some change in the geography of both Church and
    State.</document>

Note the space after "few-" in the second line of the output text.

(The paragraph is a quotation from Theodore Parker's sermon "The Effect of Slavery on the American People," delivered on July 4, 1858. It is thought by many to be the inspiration for part of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.)

But it's not what happened: quite some folks in power have middle age monarchic characteristics, oligarchies are around etc. Old institutions (that probably root deeply in mankind0 are just better in pretending to be different.

Anyway fixed in next beta (but you need to keep an eye on disc side effects.