On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 18:57:41 +0100
Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> looking at this pdf file it makes sense to save as pdf from
> illustrator because now you basically use the illustrator edit file
> (with a lot of crap in it) and also some versioning (i suspect that the
> xref is also bad so then you depend on recovering capabilities of readers)

I have worked with a large number of Adobe Illustrator files and have found
that one *must* save them as PDFs in order for them to be reliably used
anywhere outside of the Adobe world. One need not use Illustrator, for opening
the .ai file in Adobe Reader and then saving it as a .pdf gets rid of all of
the editing crap that is embedded.

Alan