Thanks Wolfgang.  This is exactly what I was looking for and thanks for the
explanatory notes on the inter-column width.  New knowledge is always good!
:-D

I put braces around the contents of the items to make them consistent with
\starthead command which does not seem to contain the headstyle setting in
\startitemize to the head block.

Do I need braces for \starthead but not for \startitem?

\showframe

\starttext
\startitemize[n,3*broad,repeat][headstyle={\bf}]
\starthead A header \stophead
    \startitemize[n,3*broad]
    \startitem
        \input ward