List,

What is the proper place to put a custom typescript file to make it accessible to multiple projects?

For testing I placed copies in"
1)  the local directory
2)  <user>/texmf/fonts
3)  <installation>/tex/texmf-local/fonts/

A standard version (uncustomized) exists as part of the distribution in:
4)  <installation>/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/mkiv/

luatools <typescriptfile>

finds the file in 1, 4, and 2.

That is, after the local directory it immediately takes the standard installation directory, never looking in the places one might store local versions meant to override the distribution files. It might get to one of those directories (<user>/texmf/fonts) if there is no standard file in the distribution, but that is not the case here.

I did not see an appropriate environment variable to control this. It does not seem sensitive to TEXMF or OSFONTDIR.

So, where do I place the customized typescript, or how do I tell ConTeXt where to look?

--
Rik