On 3/14/2019 8:51 AM, luigi scarso wrote:

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 5:56 AM Henri Menke <henrime...@gmail.com <mailto:henrime...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Dear list,

    Something has changed in MetaFun and it can no longer be used in
    plain LuaTeX,
    with neither of

         luatex test.tex
         mtxrun --script plain test.tex

    This is the error:

         >> LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY
         >> "mp.print(LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY)"
         ! Equation cannot be performed (numeric=string).

    MWE is below, as always.

    Cheers, Henri

    ---

    \directlua{
    local mpkpse = kpse.new(arg[0], "mpost")

    local function finder(name, mode, ftype)
         if mode == "w" then
             return name
         else
             return mpkpse:find_file(name,ftype)
         end
    end

    local mpx = mplib.new {
         find_file = finder
    }
    local ret = mpx:execute[[
    boolean mplib ; mplib := true ;
    input metafun.mp <http://metafun.mp> ;
    ]]

    print(ret.log)
    }
    \bye

in mp-mlib.mpiv it seems that we should have
string  LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY ; LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY := runscript("mp.print(LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY)") ;
instead of
numeric LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY ; LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY := runscript("mp.print(LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY)") ;
Now I have
tex/texmf-context/metapost/context/base/mpiv$ grep -r LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY
mp-mlib.mpiv:%numeric LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY ; LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY := runscript("mp.print(LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY)") ; mp-mlib.mpiv:string  LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY ; LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY := runscript("mp.print(LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY)") ;

and your example looks ok.
as currently the variable is isn't used we can also comment it