On 01/04/2019 15:55, Hans Hagen wrote:
Hi all,

After more than a decade of mkiv and luatex it's time to move on to a new stage. After all, nowadays a ten-year old program is considered to be really old, especially for those who consider a manual typeset three years ago as an indication of lack of progress. Therefore: welcome to lua(meta)tex 2.00 and context lmtx, the follow up on luatex and mkiv, if you dare. It has many deep-down changes but aims to be a simple evolution.

The average user will probably not notice many differences but nevertheless, when you are in for something new, you can give it a try:

      http://www.pragma-ade.nl/install.htm

Of course you should keep your current installation too. We're sure that there will be issues so when you run into unexpected surprises, you can blame us (and fall-back on the current Context beta and luatex). Of course with the proper mwe's (tex, metapost, lua, or a combination of these) we will try to solve them all, we have been testing. In due time more about this project will be revealed.

Hans Hagen & Alan Braslau

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the link to the code. A quick install suggests that a 'hello world' is working nicely from ConTeXt. However, if I try what you might expect from me

    luametatex --ini latex.ltx

things go a bit wrong:

    This is LuaMetaTeX, Version 2.00.0  (INITEX)
    ! error:  (system): missing find_write_file callback

(I also notice there is no plain-like format for testing, or at least that just "luametatex" yields an error.)

Clearly things work for ConTeXt, so there must be some early Lua magic or similar required. Any thoughts? (I don't get a .log or any other output.)

Joseph