On 4/10/2019 9:40 AM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 9:21 AM Otared Kavian <ota...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Hans,

While testing old documents with lmtx, I noticed that with recent versions of
mkiv, as well as LuaMetaTeX, there is a strange behavior in math mode: when the
characters < and - follow each other one gets \leftarrow… This is embarrassing
when one writes inequalities for negative numbers.
So one has to separate them in order to obtain with curly braces. Can this be
fixed or is it intended ?

\starttext
$\alpha < -1$

$\alpha \leftarrow 1$

$\alpha < {-1}$

$\alpha {<} - 1$
\stoptext

Best regards: OK

Hi!

I asked about this before, and it is a feature.

It can be switched off with

\setupmathematics[
collapsing=1,
]

Hope it helps!
Indeed. Aditya is in charge of decisions about these defaults so if you want it differently you need to convince him. (I'm not sure how many users depend on it.)