On 4/15/2019 11:23 AM, Henri Menke wrote:

On 15/04/19 9:06 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 4/15/2019 9:50 AM, Henri Menke wrote:
Dear list,

I am unhappy with how some fonts kern particular subscripts.  For example in
the default Latin Modern, subscripts to the Greek capital gamma could use some
negative kerning.  Because I can't (and don't want to) fix the font, I thought
that I could patch the font on-the-fly in ConTeXt.

The usual approach with fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature works well in math mode,
but does not extend into subscripts (MWE below).  Is there a method to adjust
subscript kernings?  Could this be done using mathkerns?  Latin Modern doesn't
have any but maybe they can be added on the fly.

Cheers, Henri

---

\startluacode
fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
      type = "kern",
      name = "kern",
      data = { [0x0393] = { [0x0030] = -200 } }
}
\stopluacode

\setupbodyfont[modern]

\starttext
$\Gamma0$ % works fine :)

$\Gamma_0$ % doesn't work :(
\stoptext
see pagella-math.lfg

Thanks for the hint.  Is there a possibility to do this without goodies?  They
are not available in generic.

i suppose that you can use one of the hooks that adapt fonts beforehand: just add features after the font gets loaded but before it gets passed to tex (it's character.mathkerns)

(at some point i'll probably add such stacked kern definitions in context but it depends on how the gyre fonts evolve)