On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 9:28 AM Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 5/14/2019 11:36 AM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:

> options
> apply
> with
> as

> formulas?

> backgrounds
> ...]
> can set
> on the
> will be
> \stoppostponing)

> below,
> file.

> like
> supposed to.
> >>
> >> the mkii mechanism has been replaced by a new one but it's not
> >> completely compatible (these placements are actually for floats and
> >> spans were just a special kind abusing that mechanism)

> >> i'll put it on the todo list

> >>                                             Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
> >>                 Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
> >>          tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > Many thanks for your reply! Then I stop my playing with it now
> > (several things work and it looks quite nice!).
> >
> > I really appreciate any effort in this direction, since I think this
> > grid+column functionality is a very nice feature to have!!
> this will work in a next upload (watch out: columnsets operate on a spread)
>
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative={doublesided}]
>
> \showgrid
>
> \setupalign[verytolerant] \dontcomplain
>
> \definecolumnset[three][n=3]
>
> \definecolumnsetspan[two]
>    [n=2,
>     background=color,
>     backgroundcolor=lightgray]
>
> \starttext
>
> \page[left]
>
> \startcolumnset[three]
>
>      \startcolumnsetspan[two][c=1,r=5]
>          \samplefile{ward}
>      \stopcolumnsetspan
>
>      \startcolumnsetspan[two][method=btlr,c=2,r=3]
>          \samplefile{ward}
>      \stopcolumnsetspan
>
>      \dorecurse{6}{\samplefile{knuth}\par}
>
> \stopcolumnset
>
> \stoptext

Many thanks for the update today!

One follow-up question: How do I place a columnsetspan on a right page in a
spread? If I change c=2 to c=4 in your example, it disappears. Is there
another way?

I have realized that one can use columnsetareas to "forbid" text to go to
certain lines, which is useful. But I have the same problem with them, not
showing up on right pages if I use x=4 (for example). This is perhaps not
the intended way to use areas, but it works pretty good on left pages to
have the columns start on other lines than number one, or to make them stop
before the last line, so it would be fun to have them on right pages as
well.

/Mikael