On 7/10/2019 1:04 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
Hi Sanjoy,

I think it's just the 'normal' limitations you have when setting a
variable/id name. Special characters, like parenthesis, are not allowed
here.

Even whitespace can be problematic. Yesterday I had a problem with a
reference (data driven) that has a trailing space (obviously a typo).
This space was 'eaten' by TeX, resulting in a broken link. Embracing the
argument helped here, but I haven't tested what happens, if you use
multiple spaces in a row...
indeed, references are actually a little language in their own (always have been)

\enabletrackers[structures.referencing.analyzing]