Kerry Sainsbury schrieb am 30.10.2019 um 19:58:
Hi there,

I am a newbie, and have /seem/ to have discovered that

\setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided] generates a blank page between chapters.

\setupheadertexts[chapter]

\setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided,location={header,inmargin}]

\starttext

\startchapter[title={October 2000}]

Blah One

\stopchapter

\startchapter[title={November 2000}]

Blah Two

\stopchapter

\stoptext

This produces a PDF in TeXworks containing 4 pages:

  * Page 1 with a header an 'October 2000' header and 'Blah One' content
  * Page 2 with a header an 'October 2000' header only.
  * Page 3 with a header an 'November 2000' header and 'Blah Two' content
  * Page 4 which is completely blank

If I remove the \setuppagenumbering line the PDF contains just two pages, with the expected content.

I'm using "ConTeXt ver: 2019.10.11 15:47 MKIV beta fmt: 2019.10.25 int: english/english"

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a bug?

With \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided] you get a doublesided document with left and right pages. The default setting for chapters is to start always on a right page
which can lead to empty left pages.

The normal layout are single sided document (\setuppagenumbering[alternative=singlesided]) with right pages only which can't lead to empty pages unless you add an extra check at the
begin of each chapter.

There is also a third mode which creates the same layout on each page but you can
checl for left and right pages, this mode is enabled with
\setuppagenumber[alternative={singlesided,doublesided}].

Wolfgang