On Sat, 2 Nov 2019, cont...@vivaldi.net wrote:

Hello,

OK, thanks for reaction.

One more example - \text instead of ascii mode:

----
\starttext
  \type{%@$}
  A\footnote{\type{*\$%
  }}
  B\footnote{\type{*\$\%
  }}
\stoptext
----

gives:

"
*\$
*\$\%
"

in the footnote.

IOW, I cannot simply print "%": "%" at the end yields "" whilst "\%" produces "\%".

Is there a simple way to prinst simple "%"?
(There is probably a more clumsy way - type \letterpercent instead of % - but this is a minimal sample; in my real sample there are many "%"s to be shown as "%".)

Why not just use asciimode?

To understand why \footnote{\type{...}}} doesn't work, you need to understand TeX's "digestive system". \type{...} (and asciimode) work by modifying the catcode tables. However, they are are used inside a footnote, the argument of \footnote is parsed according to the catcode table which is active when footnote is passed. Under the default catcode table, % is a comment, so when you type:

\footnote{\type{*\$%
}}

the argument of \footnote is `\type{*\$}`

So, if you want \footnote to "see" the %, you need to activate a catcode table where % is a letter. So, the simplest solution is to use \asciimode.

Aditya