On 2/5/2020 11:00 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

Am 2020-02-05 um 10:24 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl>:

On 2/4/2020 8:27 PM, kaddour kardio wrote:
Since ConTeXT is closer to plain TeX than LaTeX, it is more legitimate to got the
"dot tex" than latex :)
I always wonder where such info comes from. Plain tex is a 45K file that is
described in the tex book and serves as template for Don Knuths own styles for
his books. Much of it is dedicated to setting up fonts and math. I think it was
never meant to be a general purpose macro package but serve as starting point
and example of how to apply primitives.

Maybe not PlainTeX, but plain TeX.

E.g. we usually use TeX primitives like \def (even if we have \define), while
with LaTeX you use \newcommand, similar with \vbox and others.

I understood LuaMetaTeX, as a stripped-down typesetting engine, would be closer
to the spirit of Knuth’s TeX than a bloated pdfTeX/LuaTeX.
Indeed, although I admit that I added some primitives that I felt were missing (which is why we will have foo.lmtx source files).