> "\definefont[Test][file:your-font-file.otf]" should work, but I never
> used this approach.
>
> I think you need to mix fonts into a typeface with something similar to
> a typescript (but this is all Greek to me).

Here’s an example of a simple typescript using "file":

\definefontfeature[smallcaps][default][smcp=yes]

\starttypescriptcollection[charis]

    \starttypescript [serif] [charis]
        \definefontsynonym [Charis-Roman]       [file:CharisSIL-R.ttf]
        \definefontsynonym [Charis-Italic]      [file:CharisSIL-I.ttf]
        \definefontsynonym [Charis-Bold]        [file:CharisSIL-B.ttf]
        \definefontsynonym [Charis-BoldItalic]  [file:CharisSIL-BI.ttf]
        \definefontsynonym [Charis-Roman-Caps]  [Charis-Roman]
    \stoptypescript

    \starttypescript [serif] [charis] [name]
        \setups[font:fallback:serif]
        \definefontsynonym [Serif]            [Charis-Roman][features=default]
        \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]      [Charis-Italic][features=default]
        \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]        [Charis-Bold][features=default]
        \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]
[Charis-BoldItalic][features=default]
        \definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]     [Charis-Italic][features=default]
        \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldSlanted]
[Charis-BoldItalic][features=default]
        \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]
[Charis-Roman-Caps][features=smallcaps]
    \stoptypescript

\starttypescript [charis] % doesn’t make a lot of sense
  \definetypeface [charis] [rm] [serif] [charis] [default]
  \definetypeface [charis] [ss] [sans]  [heros]  [default]
  \definetypeface [charis] [tt] [mono]  [modern]   [default]
  \definetypeface [charis] [mm] [math]  [default]   [default]
\stoptypescript

\stoptypescriptcollection

Greetlings, Hraban
---