Thank you, Wolfgang, this works; apparently, the chapter has to be set with
\startchapter … \stopchapter and footnotes after \chapter won’t be flushed
unless \startchapter \footnote{something} \stopchapter.

This makes sense to me.

I guess, internally \head (e.g. \section, \chapter etc.) is simply not
“converted" to \starthead ... \stophead before the next invocation of \head or
the end of \stoptext?

Cheers

Benjamin