Sorry, I have just realized that the problem might not be \WORD{} actually, so
this one hyphenates:

\define[2]\mycommand{
        \startxrow
        \startxcell o#1 \stopxcell
        \startxcell \tt\WORD #2 \stopxcell
        \stopxrow
        }

Whereas these ones don’t:

\define[2]\mycommand{
        \startxrow
        \startxcell o#1 \stopxcell
        \startxcell \tt\WORD #2-3' \stopxcell
        \stopxrow
        }

\define[2]\mycommand{
        \startxrow
        \startxcell o#1 \stopxcell
        \startxcell 5'-\tt\WORD #2 \stopxcell
        \stopxrow
        }

Assuming that this has to do with the presence of “-“ which will be the
preferred breakpoint. So, I guess the questions boils down to how to define the
second argument of

\definebreakpoint[mybreaks][][nright=12,nleft=12,type=1]

in this case or how to “deactivate” the default \setbreakpoints[compound]?