> Am 30.04.2020 um 02:05 schrieb jbf <roma83...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi list,
>
> With 99% of work complete on a book, including single page images, I now find
> myself confronted with a final problem: how to run one image across facing
> pages or in other words, one image (plus its caption) across a two-page
> spread, such that there is no gap.

You need to use \clip and calculate the sections.
Thangalin already gave you an example. Here’s a convoluted one that I use:

% full double page image
% usage:
% \startpostponing[pagenumber]
% \doublepagefig[reference][left/right/width/height*]{caption}{filename}
% \stoppostponing
% * lw,lh,rw,rh - place as left/right page, adapt image to width/height
% default is lw
% postponing is important, otherwise the page numbering gets wrong

\newdimen\Bleed
\newdimen\maxWidth
\newdimen\maxHeight
\newdimen\doubleWidth
\newdimen\topOffset
\newdimen\bottomOffset

\Bleed=3mm
\setupbleeding[offset=\Bleed]
\maxWidth=\dimexpr\paperwidth + \Bleed\relax
\maxHeight=\dimexpr\paperheight + 2\Bleed\relax
\doubleWidth=\dimexpr2\maxWidth\relax
\topOffset=\dimexpr\topspace + \headerheight + \Bleed\relax
\bottomOffset=\dimexpr\bottomheight + \footerheight + \Bleed\relax

\definelayer[bgpicleft][x=-\Bleed,y=-\Bleed,width=\maxWidth,height=\maxHeight]
% inkl. Beschnitt
\definelayer[bgpicright][x=0mm,y=-\Bleed,width=\maxWidth,height=\maxHeight] %
inkl. Beschnitt

\definemakeup[fullpage][
  page=no,
  doublesided=no,
  headerstate=empty,
  footerstate=empty,
  pagestate=start,
]

\def\doublepagefig{\dodoubleempty\doDoublePagefig}
\def\doDoublePagefig[#1][#2]#3#4{
\startfullpagemakeup
        \setlayer[bgpicleft]{\textreference[#1]{}%
                \clip[
                        hoffset=0mm, voffset=0mm,
                        width=\maxWidth,
                        height=\maxHeight,
                ]{%
                        \doifinstringelse{h}{#2}{%
                                \externalfigure[#4][height=\maxHeight]%
                        }{%
                                \externalfigure[#4][width=\doubleWidth]%
                        }%
                }%
        }
        % set caption into footer (left page)
  \doiftext{#3}{\doifinstring{l}{#2}{%
        \setlayer[bgpicleft][
      x=\backspace,
      y=\dimexpr\makeupheight + \footerheight\relax,
    ]{%
      \doifmodeelse{blackcaption}{%
        \tfx\vbox{#3}%
      }{%
        \inframed[
        frame=off,background=shadow,
        foregroundcolor=captioncolor,]{%
          \bfx{#3}%\vbox{#3}%
        }%
      }%
    }%
        }}
        % debugging information
        \setlayer[bgpicleft][x=0mm,y=-\Bleed]{%
                \color[debugcolor]{~\tt\bfx #1 / #2 / #4}
        }
\stopfullpagemakeup
\startfullpagemakeup
        \setlayer[bgpicright]{%
                \clip[
                        hoffset=\maxWidth,
                        voffset=0mm,
                        width=\maxWidth,
                        height=\maxHeight,
                ]{%
                        \doifinstringelse{h}{#2}{%
                                \externalfigure[#4][height=\maxHeight]%
                        }{%
                                \externalfigure[#4][width=\doubleWidth]%
                        }%
                }%
        }
        % set caption into footer (right page)
  \doiftext{#3}{\doifinstring{r}{#2}{%
        \setlayer[bgpicright][
      x=\backspace,
      y=\dimexpr\makeupheight + \footerheight\relax,
    ]{%
      \doifmodeelse{blackcaption}{%
        \tfx\vbox{#3}%
      }{%
        \inframed[
          frame=off,background=shadow,foregroundcolor=captioncolor]{%
          \bfx{#3}%\vbox{#3}%
        }%
      }%
    }%
        }}%
        % debugging information
        \setlayer[bgpicright][x=0mm,y=-\Bleed]{%
                \color[captioncolor]{~\tt\bfx #1 / #2 / #4}
        }
\stopfullpagemakeup
} % doublepagefig

You can see the outcome here: