On 3 May 2020, at 15:55, Pablo Rodriguez <oi...@gmx.es> wrote:

> On 5/3/20 2:56 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>> ConTeXtgarden had theanswer when I searched again:
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[dejavu]
>> \mainlanguage[russian]
>
> Hi Gerben,
>
> I’m afraid they may be different issues: setting a language and getting
> the glyphs required for that language.
>
> See the following sample:
>
>    \setupbodyfont[dejavu]
>    \mainlanguage[russian]
>    \starttext
>    \hyphenatedword{%
>    Николаевич
>    typography
>    \en typography}
>    \stoptext
>
> Since you set the main language to Russian in the document, you would
> have to mark all English texts properly. I doubt this may be what you
> intend.
>
> The way to get a fallback font would be (depending on which approach you
> use) \definefontfallback or \definefallbackfamily.
>
> A sample of the second option would read:
>
>  \definefallbackfamily
>    [mainface]
>    [ss]
>    [FreeSans]
>    [preset=range:cyrillic,
>     force=yes]
>
> In any case,
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/qrcs/setup-en.pdf#search=%22definefontfallback%22
> explains the syntax of the first option (sorry, but I only use the
> \definefontfamily approach).
>
> Just in case it helps,

Thank you.

It could help if I would understand ConTeXt better. The link gives me a grammar
for a command, but doesn’t tell me what to put in.

I tried many, many different permutations, I tried everything I could find on
ConTeXtgarden (but then, that also finds me stuff from 15 years ago that isn’t
valid anymore), but no luck so far.

The last I tried was

\starttypescript [sans] [optima]
   \setups[font:fallback:sans]
   \definefontsynonym [Sans]           [file:Optima.ttc(Optima Regular)]
[features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [SansBold]       [file:Optima.ttc(Optima Bold)]
[features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [SansItalic]     [file:Optima.ttc(Optima Italic)]
[features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [SansBoldItalic] [file:Optima.ttc(Optima Bold Italic)]
[features=default]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface [optima] [ss] [sans] [optima] [default]
\definetypeface [optima] [rm] [serif] [optima] [default]
\definetypeface [optima] [tt] [mono] [modern] [default]
\definetypeface [optima] [mm] [math] [pagella] [default]

  \definefallbackfamily
    [optima]
    [ss]
    [file:Helvetica.ttc]
    [preset=range:cyrillic,
    force=yes]

\setupbodyfont [optima]

The error is:

fonts           > typescripts > unknown library 'optima'
open source     > level 3, order 6, name
'/usr/local/context-osx-64/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/mkiv/type-imp-texgyre.mkiv'
close source    > level 3, order 6, name
'/usr/local/context-osx-64/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/mkiv/type-imp-texgyre.mkiv'
selectfont      > the requested fallback font 'file:Helvetica.ttc' for typeface
'optima' style 'ss' was ignored because no files where found.

Which is weird because Optima.ttc is in the same directory and it is found.

I have a lot o difficulty understanding any of the documentation (as far as it
is available for the subjects and commands I am lookng for).

For instance: what is the difference between the “Syntax (autogenerated)” and
“Syntax entries on ConTeXtgarden? If they differ which one should I take? If
you tell me “preset=range:cyrillic and what I find says "range=cyrillic", which
one do I use ( in this case, changing did not help). There are just too many
things that can be different for tial and error to be effective.

But anyway, even if I could understand it, I can’t find anything useful (that
is: something that works or makes me try something that works) about font
fallbacks. Spending hours of looking (losing a lot of sleep) and then having to
bother the list again is very frustrating. Why isn’t this straightforward? I am
sorry, everybody is very helpful, but the frustration mounts again.